A pelleted magnesium and chromium formula designed to support calm, balanced behavior in horses. Legal, safe, and natural with no side effects. It may help animals that are cresty-necked to reduce the crest, and may also help reduce the tendency to founder by supporting normal glucose metabolism and increasing peripheral circulation.
Active Ingredients Per 1oz:
Magnesium Oxide 7g
Magnesium Proteinate 1g
Chromium Piccolinate 1.25mg
Lignin Sulfonate, Banana Flavor, Distillers Grains, Powersweet, Sodium Chloride, Vegetable Oil, Wheat Mids.
Quiessence® provides 4g Magnesium (4g from Magnesium Oxide and .1g from Magnesium Proteinate) per 1oz serving.
Administer 1oz per 250lbs. body weight per day to start. Drop to ½ oz per 250lbs body weight per day when improvement is evident. Adjust accordingly for different body weights and results.
Quiessence® may be given on an as needed basis as well.
- Magnesium should not be given to horses with impaired kidney function or those with restricted water intakes.
- Chromium should not be given to horses with PSSM/EPSM.
- Quiessence® should not be given to animals intended for human consumption.
Horses that may benefit from Quiessence®:
- Horses with obesity problems
- Horses prone to or at risk for founder
- Horses prone to cresty necks
- Nervous, tense horses that show an inability to learn and concentrate
- Horses with tight tense muscles that are slow to warm up and have sore or tight backs
- Easy keepers on a hay only diet
- Horses whose main diet consists of preserved and processed feed stuff
- Horses grazing land known to be low in magnesium
- Horses grazing on acid soils
- Horses with problems gaining or maintaining weight
- Horses with nerve conditions
Magnesium works closely with Potassium and Calcium in cells, and a deficiency of Magnesium often results in low interstitial Potassium and the corresponding symptoms. Muscles are the main body store for Magnesium and, if there is a deficiency in the diet, the body draws Magnesium from the muscles. If enough is withdrawn, muscle Magnesuim levels drop, resulting in neuromuscular problems. Therefore, horses and ponies that are nervous, tense, show an inability to learn and concentrate, have tight, tense muscles, are slow to warm up and have sore or tight backs can show improvement when given Quiessence®.
Giving additional Magnesium and Chromium to cresty-necked, insulin resistant, founder prone horses and ponies may help reduce the tendency to founder. Magnesium supports peripheral circulation to the extremities, which may ease sore feet and promote healing in foundered animals. Chromium has been shown to improve glucose clearance by improving insulin sensitivity in various classes of livestock. Quiessence® provides high levels of Magnesium and Chromium in a pelleted form.
In a study conducted in 2002-2003, founder prone horses with thick, cresty necks showed a reduction in neck thickness and hardness when fed a Magnesium supplement. The reduction in neck thickness made the horses easier to manage, ride and handle, as well being more aesthetically pleasing.